• Rigathi Gachagua is the current member of parliament for Mathira Constituency.
• Gachagua was elected as a Kenyan member of parliament for Mathira constituency in 2017.
William Ruto's running mate Rigathi Gachagua's name has been on everyone's lips. The 57-year-old will be helping Ruto campaign for the country's top seat on a UDA ticket.
Unlike his fellow politicians, Rigathi has always kept his family private.
Below are a few things you didn't know about his wife and kids.
- He has been married to pastor Dorcas Wanjiku for the last 35 years.
- Gachagua is a father of two.
- Rigathi's firstborn son Kevin is a software engineer while Keith is a medical doctor.
- Keith is an Alliance High School alumnus.
- Keith, Gachagua's second-born son did his KCSE in 2010 ranking number 17 country-wide.
- Keith holds a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, He graduated from the University of Nairobi (UoN) in 2019.
Gachagua recently faced off with Azimio's, Martha Karua in the second part of the running mate's debate that lasted 90 minutes.
The first part of the debate involved Roots Party running mate Justina Wamae and Agano Party's Ruth Mutua.
In the debate, Karua exhumed confidence in her principal Raila Odinga's track record, saying that coupled with her record, they are best placed to take the country forward.
"I will be a deputy president who is respectful to the Constitution, the people of Kenya, of my principal, and a person who will obey the rule of law, and do the best to support my captain to deliver for this country," she said
She noted that cases such as the deputy president publicly disagreeing with the President will not be seen in public as has been the case with the Jubilee government.
Karua noted that they will always sort their differences behind closed doors unlike President Uhuru Kenyatta and William Ruto, and that she will let Raila lead the country.
Gachagua defended himself saying he is the right man for the job as he is very experienced.
"I have 35 years experience in public service, I have the zeal to serve and I don't take alcohol, and I have a fairly good idea of how to assist Ruto to serve this country." - Stated Rigathi Gachagua.
Which team will you be voting for and why?