• "I aim to create opportunities where our people can learn basic skills to help them earn a living." - Jahmby
Media personality Jahmby Koikai has officially announced her intention to vie for a political seat.
Jahmby will be contesting the Member of Parliament seat in Dagoretti South.
Taking to her socials Jahmby shared her manifesto, saying that being brought up in Dagoretti makes her understand the people's problems better.
"My name is Mary Njambi Koikai. I was born and raised in Dagoretti, Nairobi by a single mother and my grandmother and the community around us.
Like many others, my family sacrificed to pay for my education. I attended school in Nairobi all the way from primary to university.
They wanted me to have a way out of poverty and a better future.
Growing up in Dagoretti, I experienced the harsh living conditions in our community due to lack of resources.
The spirit of community and service to others was instilled in me at an early age because we had to take care of each other as family, neighbours and friends.
We have faced numerous challenges as a community due to lack of proper healthcare, inadequate security and basic amenities."
"People in Dagoretti South aspire to live a better life for themselves and their children.
The spirit of community and purpose can be felt in our drive, the friendships we've created since childhood which have been passed on from generation to generation.
Living in this community has shaped my values and the direction of my life.
This has encouraged me to work for my community to improve the social and economic status of our people by working together.
Among the five areas Jahmby plans on working on youth unemployment, helping the youth access development funds etc.
We have identified FIVE key pillars for improving the lives of Dagoretti South constituents as follows:
● Kazi kwa vijana na kina mama: There is a high unemployment rate in Dagoretti South. We know our people can thrive and succeed if they have opportunities to do so, especially the youth and vulnerable groups in our community. I aim to create opportunities where our people can learn basic skills to help them earn a living.
● Pesa kwa biashara:1. The youth and women need expert guidance and support on how to plan, fund, start and run successful businesses, where they can employ themselves and others.
2. They need access to finance on patient and reasonable terms, to enable them to start and run these successful businesses.
3. There is a large number of elderly people in our community, I aim to create self-sustainable opportunities for entrepreneurship to empower them.#TuinuanePamoja."
The current member of parliament is Dennis John Kiarie popularly known as KJ.
He will also be vying for the same seat for a second time.
Newbies vying for different political seats include Rufftone, Dorea Chege, Jalang'o, DNG, Maji Maji among others.
Given a chance would you vote for Jahmby?