• The attack has horrified the village.
• The boy has been left blind.
A manhunt for a gang that kidnapped and gorged out the eyes of a three-year-old boy has been launched.
Police in Kisii say that the body of the boy was dumped at the family farm with his missing eyes. The body was recovered in the banana plantation on Wednesday night.
Police further say the young boy was kidnapped from his home and held for more than 6 hours, according to further reports.
The family noticed he was missing and a frantic search party went looking out for him.
Citizen Tv reports that the 3-year-old was rushed to the Kisii Eye Hospital after he was found with his face covered with blood; he is recuperating in the general ward after a surgical procedure.
Sadly, medics who received the child when he was rushed to the hospital say the boy has been left blind.
“Both his eyes had been removed completely, and there are some injuries in the lids…so it looks like there was a sharp instrument like a knife that was used,” said Dr. Daniel Kiage.
Area residents who joined the family in searching for the boy when he went missing have told of their horror, not imagining they would find him mutilated.
The boy remains in the hospital.
Police had initially arrested baby Sagini’s father as a suspect in the investigations but later released him for lack of evidence connecting him to the crime.
His family is calling on the police to speed up investigations and bring to book the perpetrators of this atrocity.
Doctors say Sagini is scheduled for a second operation as soon as he is stable enough.