An autopsy planned for today on the body of Dutch national Tob Cohen at the Chiromo Mortuary was postponed.
The decision came barely hours after Philip Murgor said they had requested for the body to be moved to KNH for a pre-postmortem.
According to Murgor, a pre-postmortem x-ray they requested this so that any injury in the body is easily noticeable.
“It’ll make the postmortem easy without some kind of guess work.”
A court ordered the exercise be conducted today after the prime suspect’s lawyer Philip Murgor asked it to be moved from yesterday because of commitments.
Cohen’s widow Sarah Wairimu had hired a pathologist to also participate in the exercise. The team also intends to visit the water tank where the body was discovered on Friday.
Pathologists are doctors who are specialized in the field.
There are 19 different specialities of pathologists, forensic pathologists’, are however the ones used when the death of an individual is suspicious.
Wairimu and businessman Peter Karanja are being held over the incident.
A post-mortem examination is normally carried out if it’s been requested by:
- a coroner – because the cause of death is unknown, or following a sudden, violent or unexpected death
- a hospital doctor – to find out more about an illness or the cause of death, or to further medical research and understanding
There are 2 different types of post-mortem and a coroner is a judicial officer responsible for investigating deaths in certain situations.
Coroners are usually lawyers or doctors with a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
In most cases, a doctor or the police refer a death to the coroner.
Death will be referred to the coroner if:
- it’s unexpected, such as the sudden death of a baby.
- it’s violent, unnatural or suspicious, such as a suicide or drug overdose
- it’s the result of an accident or injury
- it occurred during or soon after a hospital procedure, such as surgery
- the cause of death is unknown.
The main aim of a post-mortem requested by a coroner is to find out how someone died and decide whether an inquest is needed.
An inquest is a legal investigation into the circumstances surrounding a person’s death.