A teenager who was found dead in bushes 72 hours after she hanged herself was reported missing by her parents eight hours after she stormed out of their home, a coroner heard.

An inquest into the death of Amber Peat, 13, was told today that her mother Kelly Peat, 37 and stepfather Danny Peat, 34, raised the alarm over her being missing after they went shopping to Tesco and had dinner on May 30, last year.

Amber, who had only turned 13 a month earlier and was less than 5ft tall, left the house about 5.10pm after she had been ordered to clean out a cool box.

But the 13-year-old’s stepfather Danny Peat and mother Kelly didn’t contact police until 12.56am that night.

On Monday, the court heard the family from Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, had returned home from a family holiday in Cornwall on the day she died and a row began over a cool box she was asked to clean.

Also read:

Sad! 6-year-old girl accidentally hangs herself while playing with skipping ropes

Amber – who had gone missing at least twice previously – stormed out of the house and was later reported missing.

Nottinghamshire Police Detective Constable Tina Gilfoyle said that the family ‘reported having a wonderful holiday and wonderful time’.

The inquest heard it was likely Amber died shortly after she was seen by a member of the public entering hedgerow at around 5.50pm that day. But her body wasn’t discovered for 72 hours.

DC Gilfoyle said that while Amber was missing, police interviewed a ‘child witness’ who revealed how she had ‘been in trouble quite a lot’ during the half-term break.

Miss Peat had also told teachers at her school she felt ‘very put upon’ and ‘had lots of jobs to do’ at home and that she felt her siblings had an easier life.

Over the next month, Nottingham Coroner’s Court will probe the little girl’s life and the hours leading up to her death.

The officer told the hearing: ‘There had been arguments and Amber had been prevented from going to the beach.

‘Together with a cousin she had written a ‘runaway list’ on a laptop. It was quite a childish list with a wig, torch and rope. The cousin thought it was a joke.

‘There had been an apparent incident in the car on the way home where Amber had taken some Cherryade without asking and had been scowling at Danny Peat, and had been told to sit in the back of the Zafira.

‘Danny Peat said if she scowled at him again he was going to hit her.

Also read:

Businessman kills mother-in-law, hangs himself after wife left him in Kitui county

‘She (the witness) said Amber was only allowed sandwiches and not nice things as a result of her behaviour, because she had been misbehaving and cheeky.

As a punishment when she got home she had to clean the car out herself. 

The family then go about their business, picking up pets and the like, and they, according to the child witness, go to Danny Peat’s mum’s home, and Amber is told to sit on a chair in the corner and told not to talk to them. 

‘They eventually go home and Amber is told to clean the cool box out that they had their sandwiches in. She was not happy about it and objected to it. ‘She is reported as complaining and trying to get her mum’s attention, and so her mum shuts the door, leaving Amber alone in the hallway. A short while later the door slams and Amber is gone.

They went intending to look for Amber but could not see her. They went to Tesco and did some shopping and had their tea.

The court also heard from Joanna Holt, Amber’s Year 6 teacher at John Davies Primary School in Tibshelf, Derbys, which she attended three years before she died when the family lived in the village.

She told how Amber was ‘quite an unhappy child’ with a ‘sad face’ who usually preferred to be alone and was often at the centre of disagreements with other pupils.

Asked by assistant coroner Laurinda Bower if she knew why Amber was unhappy, Mrs Holt said: ‘She felt very put upon at home.

Click here to read more