• Ruto's tweet on launching the road generated lots of buzz after it emerged that he had commissioned it five years ago.
• However, Ruto, through the State House Spokesperson, Hussein Mohammed clarified that the road was denied funding by the previous administration.
Narc Kenya leader Martha Karua has called out President William Ruto, accusing him of giving excuses after launching a road twice.
This is after an uproar from Kenyans reacting to a tweet indicating that Ruto had launched Captain- Ndemi-Wanjohi-Kwa Matu-Geta-Kahuruko-Ndunyu Njeru road twice.
However, Ruto, through the State House Spokesperson, Hussein Mohammed clarified saying the road was denied funding by the previous administration to frustrate his bid for the presidency.
In a statement on Saturday, Karua said the second launch should have acknowledged the first one upfront.
"Nothing can excuse the deceptive launching of an already launched project. If at all it was in good faith, the second launch should have acknowledged first upfront not wait to give lame excuses after being outed," she said.
Ruto's tweet on launching the road generated lots of buzz after it emerged that he had commissioned it five years ago.
"Earlier launched the tarmacking of the 55km captain- Ndemi-Wanjohi-Kwa Matu-Geta-Kahuruko-Ndunyu Njeru and addressed wananchi at the Ndunyu Njeru trading centre at Ol Kalou town," Ruto's Thursday, April 6, 2023 tweet read.
Kenyans were quick to react and shared his tweet of 2018 indicating he had already launched the road.
Hussein said many projects Ruto launched when he was Deputy President were deliberately denied funding even though they were in the government's programme.
"During last year's election campaigns, President Ruto promised to complete all stalled projects, including roads," he said.
He said the President will clean up the mess and complete all stalled projects before embarking on new ones.