• In 2007, Wafula Chebukati vied for the Saboti parliamentary seat under ODM and lost.
• He has been married to his sweetheart Mary Chebukati since 1990.
Wafula Chebukati has been the name on everyone's lips in the last few weeks.
This is because he is the only person mandated to announce the next President after the just concluded August 9th elections.
Below are things you did not know about Wafula Chebukati
- He is married to Mary Chebukati, they tied the knot in 1990.
- Chebukati and Mary and are blessed with three children, two boys (Emmanuel and Jonathan) and a girl (Rachel).
- He is aged 61, he was born in 1961 in Bungoma County.
- He is the chairman of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC).
- Wafula Chebukati is also a licensed lawyer.
- He enjoys playing golf during his free time. Chebukati is also a member of the Kenya Golfing Society.
- Chebukati is an alumnus of St Peters Mumias, Bokoli Secondary School, and finally Lenana High School.
- He holds a Bachelor of Law Degree from the University of Nairobi.
- He also holds a Master’s degree in Business Administration from Jomo Kenyatta University of Science and Technology (JKUAT).
- In 2007, he vied for the Saboti parliamentary seat under ODM and lost.
Chebukati recently asked Kenyans to pray for IEBC officers and police officers during this difficult period.
"Behind the scenes for all of us are our families, the ones who suffer silently, you may not know but our wives and children need prayers because in whatever we do, they also have their friends and belong to various groups. They need prayers so that they can stand with us in this journey," he said.
Chebukati's wife also asked Kenyans to be vigil, she also asked Kenyans to pray for her husband
"Naomba tu mtuombee, mtuombee kama familia wakati huu wenye tunaingia hii uchaguzi, mimi naomba mtuombee sababu mimi najua mzee kitu kimoja anataka tu kufuata sheria."
(Please pray for our family, especially during this electioneering period. All I know is my husband wants to follow the law).