• One of the requirements is that Bahati should not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections;
• Bahati explained, "It's time to change my home, it is time to change my background and where I come from…"
Netizens are not convinced that singer Bahati a.k.a Kevin Kioko can hold his own in the political arena.
This is after he announced that he will be running for the member of parliament seat for Mathare constituency in the upcoming elections.
The Mama hitmaker revealed that his fans and Mathare residents have been hounding him asking that he runs for political office to represent them.
“We have been crying over and over again because of the same issues and you know if you rely on a visitor to lead you, they don’t know the struggles you go through,” Bahati noted.
He explained, "It's time to change my home, it is time to change my background and where I come from…that is why I am vying as Member of Parliament for Mathare constituency under the Jubilee ticket."
Well, this is what Bahati has done to ensure he is eligible to run for that position as per the constitution.
- be a Kenyan citizen for at least 10 years before the election;
- not hold dual citizenship (unless, according to IEBC, the citizenship of the other country has been obtained by operation of law without the capacity to opt-out);
- not owe allegiance to a foreign state;
- be a registered voter;
- be nominated by a Political Party or is an independent candidate.
- meet the statutory moral and ethical requirements under the Leadership and Integrity Act;
- not be a public officer or acting in any State of public office other than a Member of Parliament;
- not be an undischarged bankrupt;
- not be a person of unsound mind;
- not be subject to a sentence of imprisonment of at least six months from the date of registration of candidates or date of elections;
- not have been found to have abused or misused state or public office or contravened Chapter Six of the Constitution; and
- not have been dismissed or removed from public office for contravening the provisions of Articles 75, 76, 77 and 78 of the Constitution.