Veteran gospel singer, Reuben Kigame has opened up on what happened behind the scenes when he announced that he would be running for the presidency.
In a TV interview on Monday, the 'Sifu Bwana' singer claimed that he was threatened via a voice note on WhatsApp telling him to bin his presidential ambitions.
He said that he had recorded the threat with the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI, last week.
“Last week I was at the DCI to report a threat that I got through an audio message on my WhatsApp from an anonymous number telling me to drop out of the race because the seat is reserved for certain people."
But the threats wouldn't cower him,
"I promise that the first thing I will do after being sworn in is to sing for you because nothing stops me from doing what I love. Even after I lose or win, this is one thing that I will continue to do,” he said.
The musician added that the unknown person added that the presidency is determined by a cartel.
"He threatened that if I wanted peace, I needed to drop out of the race. What was staggering is that he stated that the presidency is decided by some dangerous mafia,” he said.
The singer noted that in light of the alleged threat, DCI boss George Kinoti and Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai should provide him with security.
“Mine is to hope that beyond the investigations, presidential candidates can be accorded the security that they need. For me more than others, I consider myself vulnerable. I would say to Mutyambai and Kinoti that if I have the security early, I will be grateful,” he said.