After the media furore about former President Daniel Arap Moi’s health hit the headlines, the family sent out an official statement.
They said that the former President is admitted in hospital and is “alert” and aware of his surroundings.
Press secretary and family spokesman Lee Njiru in a statement on Tuesday said the family is displeased with the negative and alarmist reports being peddled around about Mzee Moi’s health.
Njiru said Mzee Moi is being attended to by a professional medical team, led by his personal physician Dr David Silverstein.
“He is alert and conscious of his surroundings. The family is asking the media to, in this regard, publish only the medical bulletins issued through the legally established official channel,” Njiru said.
The statement continued:
“The family is extremely thankful and grateful to all Kenyans and well-wishers from abroad for their prayers and ‘speedy recovery’ messages.”
Njiru said Moi’s family has noted with appreciation the immense interest his hospitalisation has generated.
“This is informed by his considerable stature, both in Kenya and the international sphere,” he said.
Moi has been admitted at Nairobi Hospital barely two weeks after he was admitted at the same hospital.
Two weeks ago, he was admitted in the same facility and his family said that his admission was a routine check-up.
Sources within the family and the hospital told the Star Moi was admitted on October 11 and was set to spend some days at the hospital for intensive check-up.
“Nothing much to worry about. He is there for routine check-up and being attended to by his physician Dr David Silverstein . He is expected to spend a couple of days to allow the doctors sufficient time to check Mzee,” the source said.
Last year, Moi left for Israel for a medical check-up.
He was accompanied by his son Gideon and physician Dr David Silverstein. The former president was admitted to a hospital in Tel Aviv.