Last year, we did a rather riveting piece on crime. A year on, as we contemplated doing a follow up, we were shocked to realize that most of our sources had met their fate. That was worrying. The realization of this is really what propelled this follow up.
We first looked at the most dangerous areas of Nairobi according to the Security Research and Information Centre:
We visited the area that had been identified as crime spots and manged to interview a reformed criminal who took us on a tour of Kibera’s most troubled area:
1. Grogan – You’re likely to get mugged
2. Nyamakima – You’re likely to get mugged
3. Around Globe Cinema – Mugging, snatching and breaking of car parts
4. Kirinyaga Road – Mugging and snatching of handbags and phones
5. Ambassadeur – Mugging (late night) and snatching (anytime)
6. Ronald Ngala Street – Snatching
7. Muthurwa (Show number 8) – Mugging and snatching
8.Uhuru Highway – Breaking of side mirrors and snatching
9. OTC –Mugging and snatching
This time round, our focus is somewhat changed. We are not just looking at crime as it were but we shall be looking at the levels and how youngsters get inducted from one level to the next.
Young Gangsters Take To Facebook To Celebrate Their Crime Spree Of Rape, Murder And Carjacking, Moments Before They Get Killed
Mpasho Investigates Crime Part 3: Here’s How Simple Criminals Get Guns and How Much it Costs (Video)
To that end, we visited Kariobangi North and spoke to youth who in a past life were criminals and they gave us a wealth of knowledge into the perspective of how the criminal underworld works.
Keep it locked for this and so much more.
Mpasho Investigates Crime Part 2: The Shocking Age of Some of Nairobi’s Most Notorious Criminals (Video)
MPASHO! BOLD AND TRUE!