Celebrated Kenyan boy band Sauti Sol has come out to respond to Jalang’o’s claims that they’ve done little for the Kenyan music industry. A few weeks ago during the heated PlayKeMusic debate online, the radio presenter said that Savara and Bien (from Sauti Sol) are a big let down to the industry.
In an interview with Mpasho.co.ke, Bien Baraza said he was not happy with Jalang’o’s remarks.
Jalang’o is the biggest letdown but that’s a story for another day. I’m a let down if I see a brother putting down another brother. he’s my guy and he knows the plans that have been underway. I would expect him to have called me first instead of politicising the whole thing. I got really pissed and actually went off on him on that.
He said some members of the band have been busy with other projects:
I’m going to his station on Friday. I have to see what he has to say about the whole situation. But It was bound to happen. We were making plans for over a year. Delvin Savara was in Stanford doing for a programme, we have a business coach now.
Polycarp is doing a copyright course at Havard. Just all these things. I launched Kenya Writers Association, those are the things he (Jalang’o) didn’t know we were doing in the background so that we can have a better dispensation for our artistes.
Talking about Kenyan music, he said:
Labels have been started but have fallen for a reason because people are not putting organisational structure behind them. And so we’ve been doing for the last year for our fans have not been just chilling and watching Kenyan music crumble. No. We’ve been taking our time to approach this animal in a different way.
He told Jalang’o not to call out people in public, but rather phone them if it really has to be addressed.
To my brother Jalang’o what I would say is meza dawa yako. And if I go wrong, don’t fix your brother’s collar in public.