Do you have medical cover?
Well, the National Hospital Insurance Fund(NHIF) is a government corporation that provides medical covers to Kenyans over the age of 18.
Membership can be through an employer, or one can apply individually. Registration is eligible to members both from the formal and informal sectors.
Some of the services that NHIF covers include, inpatient and outpatient services, maternity services, cancer treatment, renal dialysis among others.
It is an important service to subscribe to and you can pay for it via MPESA.
The contributions of voluntary and self-employed are Ksh. 500 per month. You can decide how many months you want to pay for. The most popular mode of payment is using Mpesa as it is easy and convenient.
What are the requirements to register for NHIF?
Before you can learn how to pay NHIF via M-Pesa you will need to register. For you to register and get a NHIF membership card, you are required to have the following documents:
- Copies of National ID
- A copy of the employer’s Introductory letter (This excludes those voluntary and self-employed contributors.)
- Colored passport photos
- Original and copies of the birth certificate of the dependents
How to pay NHIF via Mpesa
The following steps will help you on how to pay NHIF via Mpesa:
- Open your SIM Tool Kit and go to Mpesa Menu
- Go to Lipa Mpesa
- Select Paybill and enter 200222 as the business/pay bill number
- Enter your National ID number as your account number
- Enter the amount you want to pay
- Input your pin number and confirm the transaction then send
- After payment, you will get a transactional message from Mpesa confirming your contribution.
How do you know you have paid NHIF?
You can easily check the status of your account using a mobile phone by carrying out the following steps:
- Compose a new SMS
- Type the letters “ID”, space, then your ID number.
- Send the SMS to 21101
As a result, you will get a reply showing your member number, your ID number, year of birth, your last contributions, and your dependents.