Matatu culture is the lifeblood of Kenyan pop culture.
But this has been replaced by matatu SACCOs that have to follow government regulations on how the mode of transport is branded.
According to the Matatu owners association, all the matatus on the road have to be registered to a SACCO.
These SACCOs are grouped based on locations. And man, aren't their names silly and hilarious?
Here are a few matatu and bus SACCOs with names that could make you pee your pants from bouts of ceaseless laughter.
- KINYANA TRAVELLERS SACCO - They ply the Kisii and Kericho route
2. Climax Coaches – They operate between Nairobi, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kitale and Bungoma.
3. Dix Hult – Nairobi, Kariobangi, Outering, Huruma and Eastleigh
4. Ennus – It’s from South Kinagop
5. Famwenaakume – Matatus from this Sacco ply the Nairobi, Kisii, Kilgori and Eldoret upcountry route.
6. Nakamata – These matatus operate in Nakuru town.
7. Usenge – Unless you’re from the lakeside city of Kisumu, you won’t get it. These matatus shuttle between Kisumu, Bondo and Usenge.
8. Nakam – The Sacco was just registered to operate within Nairobi.
Member SACCOs and companies.
9. Juthi – Matatus from this Sacco is from Mombasa and they do their business between Mtwapa and Bombolulu.
Here are more...
Allethea Ventures Ltd - Nairobi
Bakaki Sacco - Kiambu
Eleventh Hour Transport Sacco - Kajiado
En Montee Tech Ltd - Nairobi
Ideline Entreprises - Homabay
Ricko Bedroom Furniture Nairobi
Karombu Travellers Sacco - Nyeri
Karwikikimu Sacco - Embu
Kipsinende Sacco - Eldoret
Kitoma Sacco Society - Kisumu
Coolio Langalanga - Nairobi
Gesarate Trade Link Company Ltd – Nairobi
Ginyali Sacco – Kiambu
Kipsinende Sacco – Eldoret
Manchester United Sacco – Thika
Nangus Co.Ltd – Nairobi
Nyakaca Travellers Sacco – Nyahururu