• DCI said the six were arrested in Nairobi’s Kawangware area and 112 assorted phones suspected to have been stolen were recovered.
Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations have arrested six suspects in connection with a series of robberies targeting pedestrians and motorists along the Southern bypass.
In a statement on Wednesday, DCI said the six were arrested in Nairobi’s Kawangware area and 112 assorted phones suspected to have been stolen were recovered.
"Detectives employed cyber and forensic analysis, with the help of sleuths attached to the Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau to nail the suspects. As a result, Police recovered 112 assorted mobile phones all suspected to have been stolen. One victim who had previously been attacked by the vicious gang along the highway managed to identify her phone," DCI said.
Those arrested during the operation include; Messi Martha Mutioka, Tevin Njuguna, Edward Baraza Shikoba, Lawrence Gitahi Ndirangu, Kenneth Maina Chege and David Lugali Asianja.
The suspects are aged between 21 and 32 years old.
According to the sleuths, they have so far arrested 15 suspects in connection with robberies along the Southern bypass.
"Any victims who may have lost their valuables including mobile phones are requested to visit our offices at Langata Police Station, to identify them," DCI added.
On May 26, the DCI arrested six armed and dangerous gangsters who were violently attacking and robbing motorists off their valuables along the Southern bypass.
The arrests followed a report made by a motorist who was attacked and violently robbed off his valuables after he stopped his vehicle, to let his son answer a call of nature.
Another three suspects were nabbed on May 31, among them a 15-year-old, armed with machetes, as they prepared to stage attacks on motorists along the southern bypass.
"Two motorbikes used by the criminals as their getaway means were also impounded, in the meticulous operation staged by the officers," Kinoti said.