Cases of love gone sour have been rampant of late with the latest being between Richard Nyakina and his girlfriend Lydia Nyaboke Onono.

Mr. Richard is currently in police custody after he murdered the 26-year-old woman he met on Facebook, in Ngong.

The two, according to Ms. Nyaboke’s brother Japheth Mogeni; a second-year electrical engineering student at Technical University of Kenya, met on Facebook some time back and decided to meet face-to-face on July 23 in Nairobi after Nyakina told Lydia that they were from the same village.

“They kept communicating for some time before they decided to meet," Japheth told Daily Nation.

Ms. Nyaboke who was staying with her younger brother; Japheth Onono in Ngara promised to be back before the end of the day but at around 6 pm, she had not returned. This left her brother worried.

"She told me she was in Ngong and may not come back home. I then asked her for money to buy dinner, which she promised to send in the next five minutes," Japheth told the Standard.

Nyaboke did not honoour her promise of sending money prompting her brother to make another call only to find out that her phone had gone off. He became worried about his sister who was their bread winner and he called his mother Irene Mogeni who lives in Nyamira County and informed her that he could not trace Nyaboke.

His mother advised him to be patient, saying perhaps her phone’s battery had gone low and she would be back home.

"Just days before she disappeared, she used to talk for long hours on phone with someone. Out of curiosity, I asked her who it was, and she told me it was a new boyfriend. So on that Sunday, she was going to meet him for the first time," said Japheth

Three days passed and Nyaboke was nowhere to be seen or found. Japheth went to Pangani Police Station to report that his sister was missing but the police advised him to report in Ngong where her sister communicated from last.

A few days later, he was called by Special Crimes Prevention Unit officers who told him that they had arrested a suspect who had confessed to murdering his sister. He went ahead to reveal to the police that he dumped the body in Ngong forest, near Lenana School. The body was taken to city mortuary on July 27 by police who were patrolling the area.

"We arrested him in Gucha, Kisii, and he confessed to having killed the lady. He took the police officers to a thicket in Dagoretti near Mutuini Secondary School,” Head of Special Crimes Prevention Unit Noah Katumo told Daily nation.

According to the police, Nyakina confessed that he hit Nyaboke on the head, suffocated her and used her clothes to strangle her.

Nyakena also told the police that;

"Lydia received a call from another man who was referring to her as ‘sweetie’ and when demanding to know who the caller was, an argument ensued."

Lydia's parents Zachary and Irene Mogeni, were called to Nairobi last Sunday to identify the body and oversee the post-mortem. A postmortem report indicated Lydia died from strangulation.

The late will be laid to rest this Friday, August 25th at her parents home Mabariri-Monga village near Monga Primary school in Nyamira County.

Here are photos of the late MPESA attendant Lydia Nyaboke