Staying at home and keeping safe has made us very creative. Yes, we’re doing our best to fight the pandemic, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have any fun at home, especially with a drink. Whether you live alone or with your family, self-isolation has given Kenyans an opportunity to find a new side of themselves.
We’re all very familiar with Captain Morgan. It’s the smooth and medium bodied drink that refreshingly goes well in a multitude of cocktails. However, Captain Morgan gold is also fantastic in our food. Especially dessert.
Yes, you heard that right. It goes well with dessert.
Captain Morgan gold adds a rich depth to whatever you are eating and for this recipe I am going to tell you how to make a chocolate rum cake so rich and delicious, it will quickly become a house favorite.
…and since we’re on lock-down there is plenty of time to perfect this recipe! Once things go back to normal, Captain Morgan gold will be the perfect addition to any gathering!
All of these ingredients are easy to find and combined with Captain Morgan gold result in a delectable dessert.
For the cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Captain Morgan
- 1/4 cup water
- To make the cake
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover a pan with non-stick baking spray.Whisk together flour and baking soda; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the butter and stir until butter is melted.
Remove pan from the heat. Add the unsweetened cocoa and sugar and stir to combine.
- Pour in the Captain Morgan and stir to combine.
- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla and stir to combine, Add the flour mixture and stir until no flour streaks remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake tester inserted in the thickest part of the cake is free of wet batter.
2. To make the glaze
- In a small saucepan, over medium high heat, combine the butter, sugar, Captain Morgan and water.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Once the cake is done, transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert pan and turn out the cake out onto serving plate. Use a skewer and poke holes all over the cake and brush the cake all over with the glaze.
This recipe is definitely worth a try. Give it a go and enjoy Captain Morgan in a new creative way.