Police are investigating the last moments of a 25-year-old woman who ended up badly mutilated and her body dumped in a deserted muddy road in Juja.

On Friday, a suspect – Evans Karani, 38, from Githurai Kimbo – was arrested for the brutal murder of Catherine Nyokabi.

The incident that happened 4 days ago has left residents of Juja shocked and stunned by the magnitude of the senseless act.

The authorities said Nyokabi’s body was badly disfigured and it is suspected that she had been burnt using a corrosive chemical.

Anerlisa Muigai responds to divorce rumours, blasts boy toys seducing her

Besides the burn injuries, she had bruises on the face and head, a possibility that she was tortured before being killed.


According to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations, Karani attempted to discard Nyokabi’s body, but his car got stuck in mud on Bob Harris road in Juja. Karani fled the scene leaving the car with the body inside.

Curious passers-by who saw the abandoned car alerted the police after peeping in and seeing a dead body inside.

One eye witness reportedly revealed that she heard Nyokabi scream and plead with Karani for a long time. She thought that it was a normal couple fighting.

Upon interrogation, police said the suspect confessed to killing Nyokabi, a hotel worker in Kahawa Wendani, following a bitter conflict, which started two weeks ago, before the deceased jilted him.

Karani, who is married, told police that the two had been dating for a while before the intense squable that led to the loss of Nyokabi’s life.



Karani claimed that he lured her by telling her that they were going to see his newly built house in Murang’a after which he would later present her to his family for an official introduction.

It’s official, I’m divorced! Marya Prudence announces split from Willis Raburu

The fight is said to be about Nyokabi’s social media post of a male companion. Karani demanded to know who he was. This heated argument deteriorated into a physical assault and eventually brutal murder.

A close pal of Nyokabi talked to Standard and revealed that she was reluctant to meet with Karani.


“We spoke and she told me that she was in Juja and everything was okay. This is the last time I heard from her. Her phone was switched off at around 9.30pm when I called her again,” said Ann Wanja who is Nyokabi’s best friend.


Karani is being held in custody at the Juja Police Station. He will be arraigned on Monday, April 19, when detectives would seek to detain him longer to allow for investigations to be completed.

Read more