Prof. Hassan Nandwa and Jowie
Prof. Hassan Nandwa and Jowie

A lawyer who had gone missing after an apparent abduction over his work was found dumped in Mwingi more than a week after the incident.

Professor Hassan Nandwa was found alive in Mwingi Monday at 1 am and later reunited with the family.

The place he was dumped is about 200 kilometres away from Nairobi.

It is not clear who was behind his abduction and where he was at that time.

Supreme Council of Muslims chairman Hassan Ole Nado said he had heard about the release of Nandwa but did not have details.

β€œI have heard he has been found alive and reunited with his family but we are waiting for more information on this,” he said.

A spokesman for Jamia Mosque Abu Ayman said he had spoken to him and his family and that they were in Mwingi preparing their journey back to Nairobi.

"He is in good health. I have spoken to him and he is ok with his family," he said.

Other officials aware said they Monday had confirmed he was alive and with his family.

But his client and ex- terror convict Elgiva Bwire is yet to be found.

The Law Society of Kenya had planned countrywide demos over Nandwa and Elgiva.

The two went missing since October 28 after Bwire was released from jail.

Police spokesman Bruno Shioso denied knowledge of Nandwa's whereabouts.

β€œIt is unfortunate that Prof. Hassan Nandwa is a victim of crime. Police are doing all they can to trace him and reunite him with his family without harm,” he said.

"The National Police Service will be interested in factual accusations if at all police are involved, we urge members of the public with information to file a formal complaint with the Internal Affairs Unit and the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) for action."

Nandwa represented Elgiva, a self-confessed member of the al-shabaab terror outfit linked to the October 24, 2011 terror attack at Kaka bus stage along racecourse road, Nairobi, during his appeal that saw his life sentence reduced to 10 years in prison.

Elgiva who is also known as Seif Deen Mohamed aka Japhar aka Japhel Okuku aka Abu Muadh is missing after he was set free from Kamiti Maximum Prisons.

Police claimed they had received reports Elgiva promised his former friends who are serving various charges on terrorism at Kamiti Maximum Prison that he will stage an attack to free them immediately after being released.  

Police say they suspect he rejoined a terror cell, which he was in contact with while at Kamiti Prison.

Check out the latest news here and you are welcome to join our super exclusive Mpasho Telegram group for all the latest and breaking news in entertainment. We would also like to hear from you, WhatsApp us on +254 736 944935.