• Berlin Marathon is one of the highest paying competition in the world.
• The fifth-time Berlin Marathon champion will obviously walk away home with a wholesome amount of money.
Kenya was again thrust into the global limelight on Sunday after Eliud Kipchoge won a record-fifth Berlin Marathon race.
The fifth-time Berlin Marathon champion will obviously walk away home with a wholesome amount of money.
While the amount one pockets varies, the Star was able to establish the prize money top athletes will pocket for their achievement in the race.
For both men and women who won the race, multiple reports indicate that they will each pocket $50,000 (Sh7.3 million) prize money. The amount is expected to be more for one who shatters the world record.
This means Kipchoge will get Sh7.3 million. In total, he will get more owing to sponsorship deals and participation charges.
Athletes who finished second will pocket $25,500 (Sh 3.7 million) while those in third place will receive $12,500 (Sh 1.8 million).
Athletes in fourth place, will each bag $7,500 (Sh 1.1 million) while those in fifth $5,000 (Sh 726,000).
From sixth position to 10th, athletes will pocket $3,000 (Sh 435,630).
World greatest Marathoner Eliud Kiopchoge has maintained his winning streak after winning the Berlin Marathon.
He clocked 2:02:42.
Another Kenyan Vincent Kipkemboi came in second after clocking 2:03:13.
Here is a list of top 10:
1. Eliud Kipchoge Kenya 2:02:42
2. Vincent Kipkemoi Kenya)2:03:13
3. Tadese Takele Ethiopia 2:03:24
4. Ronald Korir Kenya 2:04:22
5. Haftu Teklu Ethiopia 2:04:42
6. Andualem Shiferaw Ethiopia 2:04:44
7. Amos Kipruto Kenya 2:04:49
8. Philemon Kiplimo Kenya 2:04:56
9. Amanal Petros Germany 2:04:58
10. Boniface Kiplimo Kenya 2:05:05