• Sophia Wanuna was interviewing DP Gachagua on Sunday night.
• Many have called out Wanuna alleging she was unprofessional during the interview.
Kenyan journalist Sophia Wanuna is trending after an interview with DP Gachagua went viral.
In the video, Wanuna was seen asking tough questions to the DP something that has left Kenyans divided.
Some feel she was unprofessional while some commended her for asking tough questions most people wouldn't dare ask.
Wanuna has been in the media industry for the past 12 years having kicked started her carrier in 2010.In July 2021, she was appointed as the acting Broadcast Content Editor replacing Peter Opondo who was fired over what was termed as ‘unsatisfactory performance.’
A cross-check on her official Twitter handle indicates that she is now the Deputy Editor, Broadcast - Standard Group.
Below are things you did not know about Wanuna;
- Sophia Wanuna was born in Kiambu County.
- She is the editor of Standard Media group since July 2021.
- Wanuna is an alumni of Mirithu Girls Secondary School in the heart of Ndeiya village, Kiambu County.
- She worked with K24 for years. She began her career at Mediamax in 2010.
- Wanuna was in the past rumoured to be dating businessman Sasha Mutai.
- If she wasn't pursuing journalism , Wanuna would have been a detective.
- On Tuesday July 19th, she was chosen to moderate the 2022 Deputy Presidential debate held at the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA).
- Wanuna holds a Communication and Media Technology from Maseno University.
- The biggest stories she has covered include the Westgate attack, Miguna Miguna deportation and Suguta Valley bandit attack among many other big time stories.
- In July 2021, she was appointed as the acting Broadcast Content Editor replacing Peter Opondo who was fired over what was termed as ‘unsatisfactory performance.’ This was announced in an internal memo sent to the editorial staff at Standard Media that backdated her appointment to July 15th. "Editorial staff are hereby asked to collaborate with Ms Wanuna for purposes of keeping our broadcast operations and our promise to deliver quality, in-depth and timely content to the consumer on course," the memo reads.
- She is said to have a son. This has however never been confirmed as she prefers to keep her private life away from the limelight.