• He first complained he had lost his eyesight before the family rushed him to Kombe Dispensary
Detectives are investigating the death of their colleague after he consumed an unknown amount suspected to be methylated spirit in a village in Kehancha, Migori County.
Constable Peter Arida fell sick Monday morning after he had swallowed the chemical at his residence.
He first complained he had lost his eyesight before the family rushed him to Kombe Dispensary where medics referred him to another hospital in Migori. He was however pronounced dead on arrival.
The officer was attached to Kombe police post and was a father of two.
It is not clear if it is the methylated spirit that caused the death or if there was another chemical in the bottle that he used.
Police visited the scene and picked up the chemical for analysis. The body was moved to the mortuary.
In another incident, police are investigating the death of a man in Kitengela after he had inhaled the contents of a container he found in a bar on Saturday evening.
Peter Muturi Meriti died in hospital after he complained of pain and started to bleed from his nose.
He said he had passed by a bar in the town, spotted a container and decided to open it when he was met with a bad odor from it.
Come Sunday morning, he started complaining of a stomachache and at around 2 pm, he claimed to have lost his sight.
He was taken to Kitengela sub-county hospital for further examination and treatment
He died later at the facility.
Police who visited the scene said they suspect Muturi had inhaled the contents of a container with toilet cleaning detergent at a joint where he had gone to meet a client.
The detergent had been bought by the two lady barmaids and kept the same in plastic bottles where the deceased accessed and through curiosity, smelled one thereby inhaling the poisonous fumes.
The same detergent was picked up for analysis. The body was moved to the mortuary pending autopsy and other investigations.