• The teacher had been missing for days before his body was found nailed to a home made coffin.
The cause of death of teacher Joseph Gathogo, whose body was found decomposing in a homemade coffin has been confirmed to be suffocation.
The teacher had been missing for days before his body was found nailed to a homemade coffin.
He suffocated as the coffin couldn't let in any air. Gathogo,46, worked as a Computer teacher at Muhoya Secondary School.
Confirming this after an autopsy report conducted at Nyeri Provincial General Hospital Mortuary, Tetu Sub-County Police Commander Philip Mwania said it showed that the deceased died due to insufficient oxygen.
His remains were found stuffed inside a coffin placed on a boat-like structure in his two-roomed semi-permanent house in Ihururu village, Tetu sub-county, Nyeri.
Mwania further noted that the high school teacher was found naked and only covered with a red ‘Maasai leso’ and polythene paper.
His body was discovered after his relatives realized he had been missing.
"The relatives visited his house accompanied by police. Upon arrival at his house, they were met with a foul smell emanating behind the closed door. When they broke the door they were astonished that their kin was dead inside his homemade coffin," confirmed the area police boss Philip Mwania.
He noted that the relatives told police officers that Gathogo who appeared disturbed had been visiting their home at Ngangarithi village but stopped suddenly, prompting the search.
"His relatives told us that before his death he had his own issues but they never thought he would take his own life. We are investigating to establish more details," Mwania said.
The autopsy ruled out poisoning and bodily harm.