Jonathan Mukundi with wife Philomena Njeri
Jonathan Mukundi with wife Philomena Njeri

Businessman Jonathan Mukundi shot his wife three times and then turned his gun on himself in a dramatic murder-suicide.

A close friend of the tycoon revealed that trouble started after Mukundi discovered his wife, Philomena Njeri had an affair with one of her workers at a spare parts shop she ran in Mlolongo area.

“Mukundi had opened the shop for his wife who secretly opened another shop for her secret lover in the same area,” he said.

Another neighbour who did not want to be named said Mukundi was furious when he discovered his wife was pregnant.

He never told her he couldn't sire children.

“He called a friend in whom he had confided earlier. He told him, 'Njeri was pregnant and he was not the father.' He was so furious that he threatened to harm himself or his wife,” the neighbour said.

“When the friend tried calling him back, he was not picking up. It was too late,” he added.

Kamau said Mukundi had just returned to the house recently after a brief separation and the couple were together on Monday evening (August 2, 2021).

“Mukundi was drunk and had an accident near their home. He was drunk most of the time and would sometimes get involved in minor accidents,” he said. Kiambu DCIO Dennis Wekesa confirmed the couple had separated for two months before the murder-suicide.

Jonathan Mukundi with wife Philomena Njeri
Jonathan Mukundi with wife Philomena Njeri

Wekesa said Mukundi had been trying to reach Njeri on the phone, hoping to reconcile and on Monday, the two met for lunch.

In the evening, as they were going their separate ways, Mukundi hit a nearby wall and called Njeri back to take him home.

His driver took the car to the Kiambu police station.

“They agreed to go to the station the following day to sort the issue and we believe that is why Njeri spent the night at the home,” he said.

Kiambu Town OCPD Mohammed Badel said a maid contacted the police around 6 pm on Tuesday. She said she had been knocking on their door but there had been no response since morning when she arrived for work.

"Immediately we got the distress call, we entered the house and went to the bedroom, which was locked from the inside," Badel said.

They knocked for a while and decided to break down the door  

The bodies were found inside their bedroom, which had been locked from inside. Based on the bodies' condition, the shootings had occurred about 10 hours before, Badel said.

For this and more lifestyle news, join our super exclusive Mpasho Telegram group for all the latest and breaking news in entertainment.